review: pilot iroshizuku ina-ho - ink between the teeth

Oct 16, 2017

review: pilot iroshizuku ina-ho

Hey everybody! Welcome back for another ink review. I'm working through the ink samples that I picked up while I was in Toronto. I hope you enjoy this review!

Ever since I saw Ina-ho on Aileen's Instagram feed, I've been very intrigued. It's a color that I don't think I've ever seen before; I've always been a fan of interesting greens, and it seems that quite a few brands have their own version of a "standard" green.

I tend not to buy Iroshizuku inks because they're a bit expensive. I usually buy the smaller 15 ml bottles, as I've only ever bought them in Taiwan, and most stores don't sell the larger ones. I have to say that the small bottles are very enticing. They're beautiful in their own right: they come in a set of three, nestled in foam and encased in a plastic, clamshell case. In the U.S., you usually have to purchase in pre-made sets; in Taiwan, I've only ever seen them in choose-your-own displays. 15 ml is a good size: you get a nice number of fills in your average cartridge/converter, and you can test out colors before you splurge for the larger size.

Pilot Iroshizuku Ina-ho is a green-brown color.
For information on how I do my reviews, please visit my policy page.

This ink has very little to no water resistance. Most of it will fade quite readily if it comes in contact with water.

It takes a bit longer to dry than other Pilot Iroshizuku inks, but it's still dry to the touch before thirty seconds on Kokuyo MIO paper.

It doesn't shade much in either the fine or broad nib.
On Tomoe River paper, it doesn't quite shade. But it almost looks like it should be? It's hard to describe.
I compare it to a couple of inks that I have, none of which are quite similar. Platinum Classic Citrus Black might seem close, though it's more yellow and also an iron gall ink. De Atramentis Umber is much less saturated. Colorverse Dust Storm is lighter and more yellow, and Colorverse Gluon has shimmer (though it's hard to tell) and is more green.

I have this ink in my TWSBI Diamond 580 with a broad nib, but this ink shines in stubs and italics. I had no issues with flow—Pilot Iroshizuku inks are a good, all-purpose inks, and Ina-ho follows suit.

Pilot Iroshizuku Ina-ho is a desert island ink for me. I love the way that it seems to shift color. It looks good pretty much anywhere. I'm a big fan.

Where to buy

I purchased this ink with my own funds.


This post was updated on 1/12/20 to match my current review methodology.

3 comments:

  1. I am absolutely in love with De Atramentis' Umber. I haven't tried Ina Ho yet as it seems to occupy a very similar territory (Rome Burning is the other that might be somewhere close?). Once my Umber runs low I may try samples of the other two for comparison. I write with Umber in broad nibs all the time (I have it in multiple pens!!) and it is a favorite for Medieval style lettering. Feels like it came from a pre-industrial age!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right about De Atramentis Umber being quite close. Having not used Umber at all I think Ina-ho is a bit more golden. It's definitely one of those inks that you have to see in person (though I think all colors in this golden-brown-yellow range really can't be captured on screens!).
      I do hope you try Ina-ho out, and I think I'll pick up a sample of De Atramentis Umber!

      Delete
  2. Ina Ho as been one of my EDC inks. I use my on a TWSBI Eco to write on my Hobonichi on the weekly planner pages and I just love it. yes you pay for the luxury part, but like you said It's an ink you can throw to any pen without worring about, and for me that's something I can live with.

    ReplyDelete