review: rohrer & klingner verdigris - ink between the teeth

Apr 30, 2018

review: rohrer & klingner verdigris

Here's another blue ink for your consideration!

I purchased this ink when Massdrop had a discounted set of three bottles available in fall of last year. I chose Alt-Goldgrün, Verdigris, and Alt-Bordeaux: two inks I've tried before, and one I haven't.

Rohrer & Klingner come in 50ml glass bottles with a sticker label on them. Usefully, the border around the brand and name is the same color as the ink. Rohrer & Klingner is made in Germany, and parts of the label are in German as well as English, French, and Italian. There's nothing interesting to write about the bottles; they do what they're supposed to do.

The caps aren't my favorite because they're quite thin and will bend if you squeeze them. For some reason, ink tends to get trapped on the bottle's threads more often than with other inks I have; my bottle of Alt-Goldgrün practically showers my desk with little bits of dried ink when I open it. I think you would do well with wiping the bottle opening clean once in a while.

Verdigris is the color of that turquoise-colored patina that forms on some metals, like copper and brass. This may lead you to expect that bright, almost neon color, but Rohrer & Kligner's version of verdigris definitely isn't that. It's more like a deep, dark blue.
For information on how I do my reviews, please visit my policy page.

Interestingly, Verdigris goes down on the page with a slight green tint before drying to a blue-black shade that you see here.

It has little to no water resistance. Most of the ink will run off the page like it's trying to flee.

It dries rather quickly, becoming almost dry to the touch by the 15 second mark. It's dry by 30 seconds on Kokuyo MIO paper.

This ink has some wonderful shading especially in broader nibs. There's still the slightest amount of shading in the fine nib.
On Tomoe River paper, it shades well and has some red sheen where the ink pools.
Boy is this a whole lot of blue-black inks. Rohrer & Klingner  Verdigris is similar to Diamine Twilight and Blue Black. The other inks are relatively similar as well, though some are a bit more blue and less green.

I have this ink in my Nagasawa Kobe Proske with a music nib. A lovely match and I really enjoyed the pairing.

Verdigris is a staple in my ink collection. It looks good in pretty much every situation. I do wish that i stays the color it is when fresh, as it has a nice green tint to it, but I don't dislike the color it really is.

Where to buy

I purchased this bottle with my own funds.

This post was updated on 1/12/20 to match my current review methodology.

No comments:

Post a Comment