review: robert oster signature marrone mustard - ink between the teeth

Aug 27, 2018

review: robert oster signature marrone mustard

Let's take a look at a new sample!

This is the first time I've purchased samples from Pen Chalet. You get a 4ml vial, which is plenty: there's enough in there for at least 4 fills with a converter (assuming a converter holds a little less than 1ml). These vials go up to 6ml, and have an opening that is wide enough for most pens. A label is attached to the side with the name of the ink, and on top is a circular sticker with a swab on it.

I have a bottle of Robert Oster Signature, so I thought I would show a picture of that too. Usually these inks come in 50ml bottles. The bottles are quite tall and opaque with a gold sticker on the front. The name of the ink with a little swatch is on the top of the cap. They're very functional bottles, so I like how the company spruced them up a bit with the logo and swab stickers.

Robert Oster Signature Marrone Mustard is a golden brown color that is quite neutral: it doesn't seem as warm as other golden browns (weird, right?). "Marrone" means brown in Italian; I'm not sure if there's any other connection here.
For information on how I do my reviews, please visit my policy page.

Marrone Mustard has a decent amount of water resistance: most of the darker brown lifts off, but you still have enough of the orange undertone to read your handwriting.

The ink dries quite quickly on Kokuyo MIO paper. It was dry to the touch by the fifteen second mark.

Marrone Mustard doesn't have any sheen, but it does have quite a bit of shading. It's a beautiful ink that evokes a kind of vintage feel.
On Tomoe River paper, the shading is quite apparent and it even has the slightest amount of silvery-green sheen where the ink pools.
I compare this ink to a couple other ones I have in my collection. Diamine Sepia is much lighter and more orange. KWZ Ink Honey is fairly close but more golden, as is Robert Oster Signature Marrone Mustard. Noodler's Kiowa Pecan is much more red. SKB Chapo is more khaki.

I've popped this ink in my TealSBI, the awful name I gave my custom-dyed TWSBI Diamond 5-something. It has a decently wet flow and a broad nib. Marrone Mustard flows well in this pen, and I have no complaints! The broad nib shows off the shading well, and it's an easy pen to reach for.

Robert Oster Signature's distribution is a bit wonky as it's imported from Australia and they're always releasing new colors, so some distributors don't carry the entire line yet. For new releases, their Instagram has been a good source.

Where to buy

I purchased this sample from Pen Chalet.

This post was updated on 5/10/20 to match my current review methodology.

No comments:

Post a Comment