review: de atramentis salmon - ink between the teeth

Jun 17, 2019

review: de atramentis salmon

I accidentally posted this one last week, unfinished! Oops—but let's take a look at this ink.

De Atramentis inks come in a bottle kind of shaped like a spool. Some of their inks are repackaged with different labels, so if you happen to come across an ink that you like but is out of stock, try to take a look for it by reading the "color" section of another bottle.

De Atramentis Salmon is a pinky-orange color.
For information on how I do my reviews, please visit my policy page.

This ink held up pretty well to water. Some of it washes away, but it's not too bad.

It dries pretty quickly on Kokuyo MIO paper as well. It stopped smudging to the touch by the 30 second mark.

While there isn't a lot of shading in the fine nib, it has a little more in a broader nib.

On Tomoe River paper, it's much the same story shading-wise. It's a little better here, but I don't think of this as a shading ink.
I have a surprising amount of orange inks, but De Atramentis Salmon is quite different from any of them. Nagasawa Kobe Goshikiyama Ochre is much pinker. Monteverde Mandarin Orange is a red orange. Nagasawa Kobe Arima Amber, Colorverse Ginkgo Tree, and Graf von Faber Castell Burned Orange are all what I would consider true oranges.

I had this ink my Fuliwen 16 that I fitted with a Fountain Pen Revolution 1.0 mm stub. The feed keeps up well with this broader nib size, and De Atramentis Salmon didn't skip a beat. It's quite a wet combination, so I ran out of ink pretty quickly, but I enjoyed using it while I had it.

De Atramentis Salmon isn't an ink that I would've gotten normally, but I'm glad I got to try it out. Thanks to Phillip for sending me a sample of this!

Where to buy

I received this sample as a gift.

I haven't purchased from Vanness or Goldspot before, but they're both well-known fountain pen stores.

No comments:

Post a Comment