review: de atramentis virgo - ink between the teeth

Apr 20, 2020

review: de atramentis virgo






De Atramentis inks have been around for a while and they're relatively inexpensive, though they don't get a great deal of attention. I've liked all the De Atramentis inks I've been able to try, so there's good consistency in the brand.

De Atramentis Virgo is a dusty neutral green color.
For information on how I do my reviews, please visit my policy page.

De Atramentis Virgo looks quite a bit different in the scan than on paper. Not sure how this happened, but I would say that the natural light pictures are closer to how the ink looks in reality.

This ink is somewhat water resistant, though most of the dyes will lift off the page. Luckily it leaves behind enough to read.

It also had an average drying time. It wasn't quite there at the 15 second mark on Kokuyo MIO paper, but it was completely dry by 30 seconds.

In both the fine and broad nibs, there isn't much shading. I would consider this a slightly shading ink.
It looks quiet nice on this white Tomoe River paper. I think it looks very good on cream-colored paper as well.
Comparing De Atramentis Virgo to some other inks here, I don't really have a green that's similar. Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrun is more yellow. Colorverse Albert and J. Herbin Vert Olive are both much brighter.

This ink got a dance with my LAMY Safari. The broad nib has average flow, perhaps a touch wet, so it works really well with all kinds of ink. Virgo was no exception: I didn't have any trouble writing pages with this ink.

Some of De Atramentis' inks aren't very widely available, which is a shame. In some cases you can get the ink in "special" collections in their standard lineup. It's great that De Atramentis clearly notes inks in these kinds of collections with their equivalent standard color so you can find them if you're not so interested in the unique label.

Where to buy

I purchased this bottle from Ty Lee with my own funds.

    This post is also available on the blog On Fountain Pens. I have updated it to match my current review standards and posted it here as an archive.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment