review: takeda jimuki TAG kyo iro higashiyama no tsukikage / moonlight of higashiyama - ink between the teeth

Apr 27, 2020

review: takeda jimuki TAG kyo iro higashiyama no tsukikage / moonlight of higashiyama

More Takeda Jimuki inks! Why not.

I've reviewed Takeda Jimuki (also known as TAG) inks before on this blog. They're not so new anymore (I think they started hitting the Western market two or three years ago?). They don't release a ton of colors, but I think they have a very clear vision of what they want in their palette.

TAG Kyo Iro Moonlight of Higashiyama is a softer, more dusty orange.
For information on how I do my reviews, please visit my policy page.

This ink has almost no water resistance. Almost all of the ink lifts off very cleanly when in contact with water.

It takes a little more than 15 seconds to dry on this Kokuyo MIO paper. TAG inks tend to the drier side. I didn't notice this with Moonlight of Higashiyama though. It flowed quite nicely.

I didn't notice much shading in either the fine or broader nib, but you can definitely see that the ink likes to darken a little where it pools more.
On Tomoe River paper, some of that shading comes through a little better.
I don't tend to keep a lot of orange inks in my collection, but I did my best to compare it here. It's quite close to Nagasawa Kobe Arima Amber, though it's a bit brighter. Noodler's Kiowa Pecan is much more brown. All the other oranges I had were much brighter and more saturated.

I had this ink in my Lamy AL Star with a 1.1 mm nib. This ink looks really nice on cream-colored Tomoe River paper. Orange isn't one of the colors I tend to reach for but I really liked the way Moonlight of Higashiyama looked when it covered an entire page in my journal.

Where to buy

I purchased this sample from Pen Chalet.

No comments:

Post a Comment