review: colorverse string - ink between the teeth

Aug 24, 2020

review: colorverse string

Another Colorverse ink! Picking and choosing an ink to review from these sets is pretty great.

 

This ink is named after string theory, which is a thing in physics. I couldn't explain it, so I'm not going to try, but you can take a look at the Wikipedia article linked above. Oh, or the Simple English version. It comes in a set with Brane, a shimmering ink.

Colorverse String is a mustard yellow color.

For information on how I do my reviews, please visit my policy page.

The ink has some water resistance, though it will dissipate quite readily. Interestingly enough there's a greenish hue beneath the yellow color.

The ink didn't take super long to dry: it was done before the 30 second mark.

It's a bit lighter in the finer nib and reveals a little more of the greenish color in some areas. It's much more mustard-brown-yellow in the broader nib. There's a bit of shading visible in both nib sizes.

On Tomoe River paper, there's still some lovely shading. You'll note that my samples look darker here than in the scanned version. I'm not sure if this is a lighting issue or if my ink saturated a little in the feed. Whichever it is, I'm still partial to both colors--though the one you see here is probably more accurate.

I compare it here to some of the other yellows and browns and oranges in my collection. Nothing is very close. 3 Oysters Mustard is getting there but it's not as saturated. J. Herbin Ambre de Birmanie is very orange, as is L'Artisan Pastellier Cannelle. Robert Oster Signature Caffe Crema is brown, while Diamine Sepia is an orange that leans more brown.

I had this ink in my Fuliwen 016 with a 1.0 mm nib from Fountain Pen Revolution. I'm a big fan of this nib size: it's broader than a broad nib, but doesn't have as much line variation as a 1.1 mm stub or italic. I wish more people would make a stub nib in this size--but that's not the point of this review. This ink paired well in the pen. I had no issues with flow.

String is one of those colors that can only be found in a box set along with a bottle of Brane, an army green sort of color with a hint of sparkle. While I think both colors are quite pretty, I have always been a bit wary of the price tag on Colorverse inks. You're paying for an experience, which is nice if you . I feel like as someone who's been in the hobby for a while I want to get along with it and start using the inks, so bits like bookmarks and napkins don't appeal to me as much. However, I still think Colorverse inks would be a lovely gift for the intermediate fountain pen enthusiast who hasn't gotten into ink collecting yet, but just needs that little nudge.

Where to buy

I received a sample of this ink for free as an employee of JetPens.

No comments:

Post a Comment