review: pilot iroshizuku yama-budo - ink between the teeth

Mar 19, 2018

review: pilot iroshizuku yama-budo

Yet another Pilot Iroshizuku ink! I've got six of these, you know.

I've talked plenty about the bottles that Pilot Iroshizuku is available in: a 15ml bottle that comes in a three-bottle set, and the 50ml bottle. I still don't own the larger bottle, but the small bottles are just fine for me.

Pilot Iroshizuku is a purple that leans more red than blue.
For information on how I do my reviews, please visit my policy page.

This ink "pools" readily when exposed to water. Most inks lift when you blot with a paper towel, but Yama-budo likes to smear around. It's not particularly water resistant.

Sheening inks tend to take longer to dry, and Yama-budo is in the same boat. On Kokuyo MIO paper it took more than 15 seconds to dry, and you can expect longer on less absorbent papers like Tomoe River.

There isn't much shading, but this is definitely a sheening ink. It has a gorgeous golden sheen, though it isn't very visible on this paper. 
On Tomoe River paper, it comes out wonderfully.
I compare it to some other dark red inks I own, and you can see that Yama-budo is much more purple. Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Bordeaux is sort of similar, but it's more "dusty." Sailor Jentle Grenade and TAG Kyo no Oto Adzukiiro are both more red. De Atramentis Pisces and Bungubox Clown Teardrop Ruby are both much darker.

I put this ink in my Kaweco AL Sport with a double broad nib. Yama-budo flows quite readily so it made this drier pen write very well. I've been enjoying using this ink though the color isn't much in my wheelhouse.

This is a really difficult choice to make! Yama-budo is different enough from other purple inks that I don't mind that I own it. However, I don't tend to reach for purples (I know this makes no sense considering I have three different purples in my collection). Regardless, I think Yama-budo is a great ink to have on hand just because of its sheening qualities, something that I haven't seen in the other purple inks that I own.

Where to buy

I purchased this ink with my own funds.

    This post was updated on 4/12/20 to match my current review methodology.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment