review: robert oster signature plumb nut - ink between the teeth

Jan 14, 2019

review: robert oster signature plumb nut

We're back to reviews! Here's another Robert Oster Signature ink.

Robert Oster is an Australian brand that jumped on the scene not too long ago, and it's definitely made a splash. Their inks reflect Australian sights, and they've been really prolific in the last year or so.

Robert Oster Signature Plumb Nut is a red-violet kind of pink that leans more purple than stereotypical pinks. I'm not sure what a plumb nut is; I assume it has something to do with the seed of a plum? Maybe?
For information on how I do my reviews, please visit my policy page.


Plumb Nut has a surprising amount of water resistance. I thought that an ink of this tone would disappear once it touched water, but that wasn't the case. I think you'll be able to salvage most of your writing if you do happen to spill a glass of water on it.

On Kokuyo MIO paper, the ink had dried to the touch before the 60 second mark. I would say that it was dry by 45 seconds. In my Parker 51 with a medium nib, there doesn't seem to be very much shading or sheen. I haven't put this ink in a broader nib yet, and I definitely think I should.
On Tomoe River paper, there seems to be a little more shading. It's quite a lovely color. I'm not the biggest fan of pinks, but I think that Plumb Nut has a good tone to it that makes it more usable than other, lighter pinks. It has a nice depth and shading to it that looks great on paper and is easily readable.
I compare it to a couple of other pinks and reds that I own. Nothing is quite similar here. TAG Kyo no Oto Adzukiiro and Sailor Jentle Grenade are both much more red. J. Herbin Rouille D'ancre is much more pink. Colorverse Dark Energy and De Atramentis Pisces are far too purple, and too deep.

I have this ink in my Parker 51, as I mentioned before. It's a nice pen but I do think it needs to be paired with certain inks. I don't like the medium nib much just because it's on the thinner side. With Plumb Nut, it's a bit drier than my liking.

I've been really enjoying Robert Oster inks. They perform well and have nice flow and shading. I do hope that in 2019 they slow down their releases. They put out a lot of ink last year and it was really overwhelming, especially when retailers would pick and choose which inks to carry. I understand that they're a newer brand and they want to make sure they solidify their niche, but boy, is it difficult to know how big their line actually is!

Where to buy

I purchased this sample from Pen Chalet.

No comments:

Post a Comment