review: herbin vert de gris - ink between the teeth

Apr 29, 2019

review: herbin vert de gris

Let's take a look at a pretty new ink!

Not too long ago, Herbin released five new inks to update their La Perle de Encres line: Bleu Calanque, Bleu des Profondeurs, Coral des Tropiques, Rouge Grenat, and Vert de Gris. The last one was definitely the one that spoke to me the most (surprising no one), although Coral des Tropiques is definitely on my list as well.

From what I understand, Herbin is updating their name to drop the "J." I imagine it's to create some distinction since they've just made the Jacques Herbin inks; your guess is as good as mine though!

"Vert de gris" is the French term for verdigris, the greenish tone of patina. Herbin Vert de Gris is not quite as bright as what I think of verdigris to be like, but it's very close—it's a dusty blue-green color.
For information on how I do my reviews, please visit my policy page.

Vert d e Gris dried quickly on Kokuyo MIO paper, and it held up surprisingly well in my water test. There isn't any sheen on any of the paper I tested out, but there's a nice amount of shading here.
Like other Herbin inks, Vert de Gris is very well-behaved and not particularly saturated. I really like the way it looks, especially on Tomoe River paper.
I really thought I would have inks that are fairly similar to Vert de Gris, but I don't! Everything that I have is either too blue, too light, or too dark. All the colors photographed a little weird here, but there really wasn't anything similar that I had.

This is the ink that broke my "no new inks for 2018" rule, and I'm not upset about it at all. It's definitely going to get added to the normal rotation once I finish reviewing some more inks!

Where to buy

I purchased this bottle with my own funds.

No comments:

Post a Comment