review: robert oster signature direct sun - ink between the teeth

Nov 18, 2019

review: robert oster signature direct sun

Red hasn't shown up on this blog in a while!

I talk a lot about Robert Oster, don't I? They just have so many inks. It's a little overwhelming, but I do appreciate how willing they are to tackle the entire color spectrum. Although they make a lot of very similar blues.

Robert Oster Signature Direct Sun is a medium red with a pink tint.
For information on how I do my reviews, please visit my policy page.

On Kokuyo MIO paper, Direct Sun melted pretty quickly once it came in contact with water. You'll probably keep some of your writing, but it's not a whole lot.

I was quite surprised to see how quickly this ink dried. It was almost there at the fifteen second mark, and completely dry within 30 seconds. I've noted before that red and orange inks tend to take a little longer to dry, but Direct Sun seems to be an exception.

In both fine and broad nibs, there isn't a whole lot of shading. It's quite a true, saturated red.
On Tomoe River paper, it's much the same story. There is just the slightest hint of silver sheen too.
I compare this to some other reds I own, and nothing is exactly similar. Diamine Poppy Red is almost there, but it's not quite as pink. Diamine Vermilion has some orange to it. 3 Oysters Dancheong, Sailor Yodaki, and Colorverse Mars Curiosity are all darker.

I had this ink in my Fuliwen 20, which is made of a gorgeous red and cream-flecked acrylic. Direct Sun matches it quite well, and it didn't have any issues with flow. What a wonderful combination. I had a great time using it.

I don't use a lot of reds because... well, I'm not particularly drawn to the color. I use pretty much anything in my planner and journal because bright, saturated colors don't bother me. Robert Oster Signature Direct Sun was nice to use though!

Where to buy

No comments:

Post a Comment