currently inked ii - ink between the teeth

Jun 6, 2022

currently inked ii

Pelikan M400, LAMY Safari, Live In You Shiyou, TWSBI Diamond 580ALR

Where did May go?! My goodness. I did much less writing than I wanted to, but I still managed to swap out most of my currently inked. Instead of using newer inks I stuck with bottles that have been in my collection for a good amount of time. 

Pelikan M400 - J. Herbin Vert Empire

Pelikan M400 (Broad), J. Herbin Vert Empire

I don't think I ever got around to writing a review of the Pelikan M400. Mine is, of course, the gorgeous Tortoiseshell White, which is incredibly beautiful. The pen is a bit smaller than you might expect, but it fits my hand nicely without needing to be posted. The piston mechanism operates very smoothly as well. I have an inkling that the two-tone 14k gold broad nib has a bit of a baby's bottom, but it hasn't bothered me to the point that I want to look into getting it fixed.

I use J. Herbin Vert Empire much less than I should considering what a nice ink it is. It's a gray-green color that's nicely readable. I have a full 30 ml bottle of it that I should really start making a dent in.
Live In You Shiyou Shier - SKB Shilu

Live In You Shiyou (Bock Broad), SKB Shilu

I'm unsure if Live In You is still extant as a company, but it looks like some Shiyou pens are still available on Aliexpress. I really love the look of this pen, though I've noticed design flaws over time. There seems to be leak somewhere in the body of the pen, which causes ink to dry out fairly quickly. There's a metal component just inside the barrel which has stopped me from trying to eyedropper it. It also uses a Schmidt #6 nib, which is surprisingly difficult to find replacements for. I was able to stuff a Bock nib inside, which has made it a much more pleasant writer for me. Actually, the Bock nib is flawed too⁠—a noisy writer, has some hard start issues⁠—but I got it for free and it's made of titanium, so. Compromise! Regardless this pen's acrylic is too beautiful for me to consider getting rid of it.

SKB Shilu isn't a particularly interesting ink, but it flows nicely and was inexpensive. I'm nearly done with it (though it does come in a small bottle)!
TWSBI Diamond 580 ALR - Sailor Studio 123

TWSBI Diamond 580 ALR (Broad), Sailor Studio 123

I've finally reacquired a TWSBI Diamond 580 ALR. I wasn't so sure about the circles engraved in the grip section, but I like the color enough that I figured I could stick with it. The AL pens are a touch heavier than the standard 580s, though not too heavy that they feel burdensome during long writing sessions.

123 is a new-to-me Sailor Studio ink. It's a unique shade for sure. It's more of a purple-gray than the other green double-shaders. Fun to use, though it runs a little dry in this TWSBI broad.
LAMY Safari - De Atramentis Pigeon Blue

LAMY Safari (Broad), De Atramentis Pigeon Blue

The LAMY Safari is a pen I like well enough. The triangular grip is a bit annoying because I don't follow it at all, but it's easy for me to ignore. I love the Petrol finish. It's very classy while still being one of the more unique pen colors out there.

I think of Pigeon Blue very fondly because I still remember how badly I wanted it when I was in high school. It's bright and cheerful and a very nice turquoise hue. Great flow too. In the LAMY it wants to bleed through Tomoe River paper in tiny spots!

No comments:

Post a Comment