review: rohrer & klingner alt-goldgrün - ink between the teeth

Aug 6, 2018

review: rohrer & klingner alt-goldgrün

We're chugging along this week with a look back at an older ink! Taking a look at Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrün.

I ordered this ink when Massdrop had their 3-pack bundle available, thinking that the bottle of Alt-Goldgrün I owned was running low. It turns out that I still have, like, 3/4 of the bottle left. D'oh. That's a lesson for me: 50ml might not seem like much, but when your fountain pen only holds about 2ml at a time, you're gonna be using that ink for a while!

Regardless, I've had a great experience with Alt-Goldgrün before, so I was totally alright with purchasing another bottle before I finished the first. I'll just have to put this ink in a particularly wet pen. Or just write more, I guess. What a shame, right?

Alt-Goldgrün is described on the bottle as an "old golden green." I have no idea where the old comes from, but I do think that golden green is a good way to describe it.
For information on how I do my reviews, please visit my policy page.

The ink doesn't take too long to dry: it was getting pretty close by the 15 second mark. It takes about 30 to 40 seconds on Tomoe River paper to become dry to the touch. It's not waterproof at all, floating away quite easily with just a few drips of water.

It shades quite well, which I really enjoy. I love way that the lighter portions of text blend into the dark olive of the shading.
My scans don't quite capture the slight golden tone that Alt-Goldgrün has. It's slightly more yellow and a bit brighter in reality, like in the picture above.
I've compared it here to De Atramentis Virgo and Nagasawa Kobe Sorakuen Tea Green. Despite being a big fan of this golden-green, I really don't have anything that's similar!

I filled my Lamy Charcoal with a medium nib with this ink. It feels about average in terms of flow in this pen: not too wet and not too dry. I liked it as a pick-up-and-go pen: I was sure that it would flow as soon as I put nib on paper, and that's all you need sometimes. Shortly thereafter, I changed the nib out for a 1.1mm nib that I remembered I still owned. I loved this combination a lot! It really shows off the gorgeous golden-green tone of this ink.

I've bought two discrete bottles of Alt-Goldgrün, so you can imagine that I'm quite a fan of the color. I don't think there's an ink out there that's quite like it, although there's plenty of yellow-green inks out there. When I run out my, uh, 80ml of ink, I think I'm more likely than not to pick up another bottle—but let's be honest, when am I ever going to use up all this ink?

Where to buy


If you don't know, Massdrop is a community website that lets you participate in group buys. If you're someone who's interested in buying pens and inks a little cheaper than you would find retail, consider signing up. You can go to Massdrop and create an account, or click on my referral link which gives me some rewards if I sign up a number of people; I give you the choice as to which you prefer!

No comments:

Post a Comment