review: robert oster signature velvet storm - ink between the teeth

May 13, 2019

review: robert oster signature velvet storm

More Robert Oster!

If you know me, you know I love blue greens, so Robert Oster Signature Velvet Storm is right up my alley. It's a deep blue-green.
For information on how I do my reviews, please visit my policy page.

This ink has some water resistance. Much of the color washes out, leaving a blue-tinged gray tone behind. It dried quite quickly on Kokuyo MIO paper.

There's very little shading in a medium nib. You get a little more drama with a broader nib, like the one on my TWSBI Diamond. It's not a lot of shading, but I do like it. There was no sheen on this paper either.
There's a touch of sheen on some letters when you pair this ink with Tomoe River paper, but not very much. It shades a little bit here too.
My swab of Noodler's Air Corp Blue Black broke up a little, but in action it's very close to Velvet Storm—perhaps a little bit bluer. Rohrer & Klingner Verdigris is quite a bit bluer, while Herbin Vert de Gris and Organics Studio Barkley's Blue Teal are both lighter.

My TWSBI Diamond 580 struggled a bit with this ink, but it's been having a spot of trouble with most inks lately. The tines are a bit separated now, though it still works well on Tomoe River paper. Regardless, it's a wet pen, and Velvet Storm kept up nicely.

I like this ink a lot, though considering how much I enjoy using Noodler's Air Corp Blue Black that's not really a surprise. It's a wonderful color to add a little bit of intrigue to letters and journal entries. I've had tons of fun using it, and I still have a little over half the sample left for my second go-around.

Where to buy

I purchased this sample from Pen Chalet.

1 comment: